Animated Lights
Information
Take a Tour

Historic Sites
Shopping
Dining
Entertainment
Special Events

Contact Us
Historic Sites
Mercer County Courthouse
100 SE 3rd St.

Built in 1894, beautiful Mercer County Courthouse is located across from The Slammer Bed & Breakfast in the heart of Aledo. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historical Places.
Monument Park
200 Block NW 3rd Ave.

The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument was unveiled by Major General John A. Logan on July 4, 1878 during a reunion of Mercer County's Civil War Veterans. The monument stands 35 feet 2 inches tall and is constructed of limestone and granite with the names of 383 fallen soldiers and sailors engraved on the base.
Opera House
108 SE 2nd St.

The theater opened in 1904 with a production of "Quincy Adams Sawyer." Movies were first shown at the theater in 1909.
Depot
200 Block SE 3rd Ave.

The railroad first came to Aledo in 1865 and the depot was built a few years later, circa 1869. Today, the building has been renovated to its original condition. Renovations include the installation of railroad signals and tracks outside the building.
Essley-Noble Museum
1406 SE 2nd Ave.

Over 5,000 historical items including Pioneer Kitchen, Farming Tools, Civil War Items, Abraham Lincoln's Desk, and Early American Toys. A completely furnished typical one room country school house is also part of the museum along with a genealogy resource section. Open April through October Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m. Mercer County Historical Society

This document maintained by warden@theslammer.net
Material Copyright © 2009 The Slammer